Feet First

“It is much more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what sort of a disease a patient has.” - Sir William Osler






Email Dr. Alice


    follow me on Twitter
    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
    Wednesday, June 09, 2004
     
    Twenty-One Gun Salute

    My secretary brought in a tiny black-and-white TV today and I've been watching the funeral procession all afternoon. It is remarkable to see how many people turned out to see Reagan, both in Simi Valley at the library and now in Washington.

    I'm getting eerie echoes of the past here; I was born four days after Kennedy's assassination, and my parents have often told me of the weekend my mother spent in the hospital prior to my birth (she was at bedrest for pre-eclampsia). My father managed to bring in a small TV and get it hooked up. My mother said the nurses were in and out of her room constantly to watch the news (this was well before it was standard procedure to have televisions in hospital rooms). The Kennedy funeral was the blueprint for the Reagan funeral arrangements, so it gives me an idea of what my parents saw that weekend.

    I'd also like to leave you with this quote:

    [Reagan] was put on earth to do two things: kick butt and chew gum, and he ran out of gum around 1962.

    That pretty much sums it up.

    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment